Vanessa has received five IFTA nominations including as writer / director of The White Dress, and as producer in the Feature Documentary category for Dambé – The Mali Project , John Ford – Dreaming the Quiet Man, as Producer / Director of The 34th – a history of Marriage Equality in Ireland and as part of the team that made the IFTA winning 1916 The Irish Rebellion. She is former vice-chair of Women in Film & TV Ireland and served on the board for three years and is co- director and programmer of the Catalyst International Film Festival. Vanessa worked in Loopline Film in Documentary production and development for six years, as Head of Dept of Training in FilmBase for seven years and as a freelance archive producer and researcher.
Vanessa’s credits as writer / director include I AM IRELAND – an art dance commission film for Culture Night and RTÉ Arts & Culture 2020. The Lunch experimental short film currently in post-production, this project is the recipient of the SDGI ARRI ALEXA TAKE Award, Feature documentary. The 34th – Netflix UK & Ireland. The Arts Council Project Award film and multi award winning The Abandoning, Keeping the Beast at Bay – a short documentary made for Venom Films. A half documentary O Béal go Bhéal um Nollaig for RTÉ, and The White Dress, winner of five awards at film festivals and an IFTA nomination. She has worked freelance as a producer and director with a variety of companies including COCO TV, Harvest Films and RTÉ Arts & Culture on projects as diverse as the Culture Night Live concert at Collins Barracks, curator and producer of the RTÉ Tent at the All Together Now Festival, The Irish Folk Awards Film Tributes, Dermot Bannon’s Incredible Homes and I’m Roger Casement directed by Dearbhla Walsh.
Vanessa is passionate about her experimental and non-traditional narrative filmmaking practice; she was the first recipient of the Tyrone Guthrie Film Bursary award and has received two Arts Council Film Bursaries & an Arts Council Film Project Award.
Research, publication, articles, conferences etc:
- Contributor and articles published in the Film quarterly Film West Magazine and Film Ireland Magazine, on short film, documentary, and filmmaker interviews
- EU Conference Intercultural Dialogue – Ireland Focus – Film – European Parliament, Brussels
- The American Conference for Irish Studies – Chicago 2013
Awards & Achievements:
- 2021 Arts Council of Ireland Film Bursary Award
- 2018 Arri Alexa Take Award, Screen Directors Guild of Ireland.
- 2018 Irish Film & Television Academy Award (IFTA) Nomination, for George Morrison Best Feature Documentary, The 34th as Director & Producer
- 2017 Winner of both the ‘Audience Award’ & ‘Spirit of the Festival’ Best Film Awards at the 25th GAZE International Film Fest, opening night Gala film
- 2017 Audience Award ‘Dokula’ at the 29th Hamburg International Queer Film Festival – ‘The 34th’
- 2016 Winner, Irish Film & Television Academy Award (IFTA), 1916 – The Irish Rebellion
- 2015 Highly Commended, Belfast Film Festival, The Abandoning
- 2014 Special Mention, Best Short Film, IndieCork, The Abandoning
- 2014 Winner, Best Short Film in association with the Irish Film Board
Sky Road Film Festival. The Abandoning
- 2014 Arts Council of Ireland Film Bursary Award
- 2013 Tyrone Guthrie Centre / Filmbase, Film Bursary Award
- 2013 Irish Film & Television Academy Award, Nomination for George Morrison Best Feature Documentary John Ford – Dreaming The Quiet Man
- 2011 Arts Council Film Project Award
- 2010 Irish Cultural Centre Paris, Language Bursary Award
- 2009 Irish Film & Television Academy Award (IFTA), Nomination for George Morrison
Best Feature Documentary, Dambé – The Mali Project
- 2007 Irish Film & Television Academy Award (IFTA), Nomination, Best Short Film, The White Dress
- 2007 Winner, Best Short Film, Cinema Tout Ecran Film Festival, Geneva Switzerland, The White Dress
- 2007 Winner, Best Short Film, Belfast Film Festival, The White Dress
- 2006 Winner, Best Irish Short Film, Seagate Foyle Film Festival, The White Dress
- 2006 Runner up, Best 1st Irish Short Film, Galway Film Fleadh, The White Dress
- 2006 Special Commendation, Best Short Film, Kerry Film Festival, The White Dress