Applicants who have been offered a place on a programme at IADT and wish to take a year out before taking the place are welcome to request a one-year deferral.
Please note that it is not always possible to defer your place on an IADT programme. For example, in order to ensure adequate places for next year’s applicants, there is a limit on the number of deferrals which can be granted on any programme. Deferral requests can be granted to a limit of 10% of places (this typically translates into approximately 3 deferrals per programme).
In any given round of CAO offers, if the number of deferral requests received exceeds the number of deferral places that can be granted, deferrals will be prioritised as follows:
For those whose grounds for deferral are medical reasons or a force majeure
In the order in which deferral requests are received
Applicants who are given permission to defer entry in the intervening year must not:
Attend a higher education institution (this does not include 1 year QQI-FET courses), or
Repeat the Leaving Certificate examination with the intention of applying for a different higher education programme.
Deferrals must normally be requested before 5pm the day prior to the reply date on the CAO offer. If the offer is not accepted or deferred by the reply date, the offer is no longer valid and cannot be deferred. Please see offer dates here.
See CAO Deferral Procedure below if you wish to defer your CAO offer.
E.g. NON-EU applicants, Applicants to Postgraduate, Certificate, Springboard+ and HCI programmes:
Applicants that have been offered a place on a programme at IADT who wish to defer entry should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
CAO Deferral Procedure
When you receive your CAO offer:
- Do NOT accept the offer via CAO
- Apply for a deferral by emailing email@example.com with your CAO number as the subject line. In the email body you should set out clearly the reason(s) for the request
- The request must be received by IADT Admissions no later than 5 pm on the day before the reply date shown on the offer notice. Requests will only be accepted from the applicant, with the correct CAO number and if they are from the email address on file from CAO
- The request must include your name, CAO application number and course code
- We will let you know the decision in time to allow you to accept should the decision be negative
- In order to take up the deferred place, you must re-apply through the CAO by 1 February of the following year, placing the deferred programme as the first and only preference. You must notify us of your new number by emailing this to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you follow these procedures, your offer will issue in Round A which normally goes out in early July and must be accepted by the reply date
- Please note course content can change from year to year so you should check the prospectus for the following year to ensure the options you are interested in will still be available
Please note: if you are granted a deferral it will no longer be valid if:
- You accept/defer a later offer through CAO
- Attend a higher education institution in the intervening year (a one-year course such as QQI-FET course may be allowed)
- If you DO NOT Re-apply through CAO in the succeeding year and pay the appropriate application fee as outlined above
- If you include more than your deferred course on your CAO application form