Certificate Speculative Design Futures
This course is currently offered in collaboration with Creative Futures Academy (CFA). CFA is a ground-breaking partnership between: The National College of Art and Design, University College Dublin, and the Institute of Art, Design + Technology. Our tailored programmes and micro courses offer access to expertise and networks across the three leading creative institutions and our industry partners. Learn with us as we experiment, innovate and respond to change.
What is Speculative Design Futures?
As design, in all disciplines, evolves to cope with new developments in technology (artificial intelligence, immersive virtual environments, digital identities, etc.), the urgency of climate crisis, and changing legal, social and ethical contexts, it is vital that designers continue to upskill and future proof their practice. Designers are problem solvers and creative solution proposers who make a difference to people’s daily life, environment, and interactions.
Our postgraduate certificate course is suitable for designers from all disciplines interested in learning how to tackle the challenges of designing for uncertain futures. The course will equip designers with the skills to critically engage with complexity and uncertainty and to create speculative design prototypes, narratives and probes that give them the confidence to address future design challenges.
During the course, you will:
- Be guided through a range of different speculative and critical design thinking, approaches, processes and methods as you learn about how to map time and describe future design contexts.
- Explore new ways to practice as you critically explore changing and evolving human, ecological and technological perspectives.
- Apply a range of interdisciplinary research methods to question and analyse the social, environmental, economic and political impact of predicted future trends and emerging technologies.
What will I do on the course?
Course content will include:
• Introduction to Speculative Design, approaches, philosophies and case studies
• Defining speculative goals and values
• Scoping a speculative design futures project
• Speculative and Critical Design principles
• Futures research
• Design Fiction principles
• Mapping time and systems
• World building
• Emotional design
• Experimental design prototypes
• Participatory group exercises and charrette
• Project presentations
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through:
- Class engagement and two assignments. There are no written examinations.
- Participation and review in a group design charrette (online or in person).
- Speculative design futures project and prototype.
Independent learning will be approx. 50 hours approx.
Dates + Times
The course will be delivered on a blended format as follows:
Wednesdays | 7pm – 9pm | Online
- 4th, 11th and 25th October 2023
- 1st and 15th November 2023
Saturdays | 9.30am – 3.30pm | On Campus
- 4th and 11th November 2023
Are there any Materials / Equipment requirements?
You will need to have a laptop and Adobe Creative Suite.
How do I apply?
Please complete the online application form at the top of the page.
As part of the application, you will be required to provide a CV with details of:
- Education / Qualifications,
- Professional experience, and
- Creative work (e.g., a link to a portfolio website).
Fees + Scholarships
Fees for this course are €1,100.
CFA + Kilkenny Arts Office Bursaries:
Kilkenny Arts Office has joined forces with CFA to offer bursaries this Autumn to Kilkenny based artists seeking to gain new qualifications and skills to expand their practice. The bursaries range from €500 to a maximum of €2,000. Find out more HERE
A CFA scholarship encourages the participation of learners from sections of society that are significantly under-represented in higher education by offering one free place on all of our CFA short courses.
Find out if you are eligible to apply HERE
Fill in the CFA@IADT scholarship application form HERE