Faculty Transitional Studies | Research Methods & Stats 1 | Psychology of Design | Introduction to Psychology 1 | Cyberpsychology | Practical Masterclass | Research Methods & Stats 2 | Interaction & Visual Design | Introduction to Psychology 2 | Personality and Individual Differences
BSc [Hons] Applied Psychology
Psychology is the study of the mind and mental processes in relation to behaviour. In addition to studying the mind and mental processes in relation to behaviour, Applied Psychology is especially concerned with the practical applications of psychology to everyday life, including issues related to technology, health, education, and rehabilitation. This level 8 degree is accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland.
There is a Professional Practice & Placement module in Semester 2, Year 3.
Hear from our students
What will I do?
- Explore the same core psychology subjects that all accredited undergraduate courses in psychology do (e.g., social psychology, cognitive psychology and research methods)
- Learn through activities including (but not limited to) lectures, seminars, independent study, and individual and group project work
- Wide range of innovative assessments ensures that on any given day you could be doing a small-scale research project, making a game, creating a blog, giving a presentation, or designing a poster
- Gain skills employers are looking for, including teamwork, communication and critical thinking
- Specialise in either Psychology + Technology or Psychology + Practice from second year
What will I be able to do when I graduate?
Graduates can progress to the fields of professional psychology. The modules in Applied Psychology give graduates a competitive edge when applying for postgraduate studies, or employment in the technology or social science sectors.
Graduates can pursue postgraduate studies in psychology (e.g., clinical psychology, educational psychology, and work and organisational psychology). Graduates can study for masters’ degrees and PhDs in areas including: Counselling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Educational Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Speech & Language Therapy, Sports Psychology, Cyberpsychology, User Experience, Multimedia, and e-Learning.
What modules will I study?
Research Methods & Stats 3 | Cognitive Psychology | Developmental Psychology | Information Design / Sport & Performance Psychology | Faculty Elective | Applied Cognition & Perception | Lifespan Psychology | User Experience Design / Organisational Psychology
Research Methods & Stats 4 | Abnormal Psychology | Biological Psychology | Social Psychology | Content Management Systems / Education & Inclusion | Research Methods & Stats 5 | Clinical Psychology | Neuroscience & Society | Professional Practice & Placement | Emerging Technologies & Trends / Educational Psychology
Advanced Research in Psychology 1 | Transpersonal Psychology | Psychology of New Media & Entertainment | Applied UX Research / Forensic Psychology | Advanced Research in Psychology 2 | Major Research Project