Intro to Cinema & Cultural Studies | Intro to Media Studies |Intro to Critical Theory |Media Production 1 | Narrative Theory | Music Industries | Screen Writing |Digital Skills 1
BA [Hons] New Media Studies
Based at the National Film School, IADT, New Media Studies examines ways to create and better understand visual and written communication in a digital culture. You will develop your creative media production skills in camera, sound, editing and writing; your digital skills in photoshop, illustrator and adobe programmes; and your critical thinking in Film Studies, Media Studies, Journalism and Cultural Theory modules.
In Year 4 you produce a substantial portfolio of work, specialising in your chosen area of New Media Studies.
Hear from our students
What will I do?
- Make short videos and documentaries for TV and social media.
- Develop your skills in blogging, e-journalism and script-writing.
- Develop your production skills in radio and TV studios.
- Gain an understanding of the history of the development of media and its evolution into the digital era.
- Develop production skills for digital and traditional media.
- Develop skills in writing, blogging, newswriting, press releases.
- Develop skills in story telling for social networks, podcasts, television, radio.
- Acquire the skills to develop and manage a social media portfolio for cultural organisations, festivals, political groups etc.
- Develop media production skills by working in the National Film School
- In Year 3 there are opportunities to study abroad through the Erasmus Programme, IADT have partnerships with Universities in Germany, Italy, Spain and Poland.
- In Year 3 there is the opportunity to work in the media industry with a 20-week work placement, in Ireland or abroad.
What will I be able to do when I graduate?
Graduates go on to careers in media + broadcasting; production; journalism; and social media, working as bloggers, researchers and content developers. Graduates also progress to further study at Masters level in Ireland and abroad.
What will I study?
Documentary Studies | Irish Cinema | Media Law 1 | Media Production 2 | Global Media Industries | Music Industries 2 | Newswriting | Digital Skills 2
Design Thinking & Communications | Television Drama | Media Platforms News | Advanced Music Industry | Media Production 3 | Placement | Erasmus
Social Media | Media Production 4 | Journalism | Media Law 2 | Final Year Project | Non-Western Cinema | Media Criticism | 21st Century Screen Media | Climate Change & the Media