Faculty Connect | Intro to Visual Culture | Photography and Culture| Photography and Visual Communication | Practical Masterclass | Understanding the Photographic Image | Introduction to the Photographic Studio | Narrative and the Moving Image
DL833 BA [Hons] Photography
+ Visual Media
You can apply for advanced entry into Years 2 and 3 of this course for September 2023 entry – More info Here
Explore how new technologies and methodologies are synthetising into photographic practice and their impact on contemporary approaches to image making. Learn and explore multiple avenues of inquiry that incorporate traditional documentary practice, digital image making, experimental film and software-based work. Develop best practice and skill sets for storytelling through the lens.
This programme promotes the synergy of theoretical perspectives and practical methodologies in the production of work to foster critically engaged image makers: you will learn to promote and scrutinise your own professional practices. Multi-element modules reflect each of the technical, conceptual and critical contexts of the core principles of the programme, thus allowing for the application of multiple medias and multiple practices: from analogue traditions of photography to cutting edge digital media solutions for the moving image. This approach enables you to respond to the fast-changing pace within the field of creative media arts.
Hear from our lecturers
What will I do?
- Develop a high-level of understanding of the opportunities and challenges of contemporary lens based and digital media practices
- Learn in a practical and intellectual environment which facilitates a rigorous exploration of traditional, contemporary and emerging lens-based media practices and criticism
- Become an empowered creative image maker, with the skills and understanding needed for a professional career
- Learn the best practice and key skill sets for future work-life through practical and theoretical studies
- Opportunities exist to study abroad through the Erasmus Programme, in addition to international field-trips
- A work industry placement takes place in Year 3
What will I be able to do when I graduate?
Graduates seek employment nationally and internationally in diverse creative commercial and contemporary art practices including; digital media, publishing, advertising, architectural photography, fine art, documentary, gallery/project management, fashion/editorial. Graduates also work independently or establish a business.
Pathways to Masters level exist in a range of media subject areas.
Graduate work 2020
What modules will I study?
Society, Culture and the Image | Light, Lighting and Digital Media | Documentary and the Moving Image | Visual Culture 4 | Exploring Visual and Material Culture| Faculty Film, Art and Creative Technologies Elective | Exhibition and the Photobook | Exhibition
Identity and the Image | Project Research & Practice | Photography & Curatorial Practice | Photography & Installation Practice | Thesis Research and Preparation | Business & Entrepreneurship for Creative Practice | Professional Placement Module
Minor Project | Thesis | Faculty Film, Art and Creative Technologies Major Research & Studio Project